Friday, October 26, 2012

What Happens in Amsterdam, Stays in Amsterdam *wink*

The title pretty much sums up the average weekend in Amsterdam. I'll keep it PG though! ;)

My journey began with a 7 hour bus trip from Paris to Amsterdam with a quick stop in Brussels. After that ride, I was glad to have chosen to take a train back home which was only 3 hours long. I met up with my friend, who was arriving from Germany, at Amsterdam Centraal Station and off we went!


Amsterdam Centraal Station- This is only the middle part of it! So big!
Besides having things related to sex, drugs, and weed practically thrown in your face(haha) there were plenty of other things that the city had to offer so there's definitely something for everyone. Here are some of the highlights of our stay in Amsterdam!

The Anne Frank Huis
This was extremely interesting since I had read the Diary of Anne Frank probably in 5th or 6th grade. Even if you're not into museums, this is definitely a must see. Once you go in, it's like you're walking through a real life timeline through the life of Anne Frank and the time she went into hiding. It was so surreal to walk into the rooms and seeing how she and her family lived there as well as seeing the secret bookcase which provided a passage to another room. Also, reading passages of her diary throughout the museum, it was very moving for me to visualize how it was for her to not even be able to look outside for the longest. Once me and my friend left, we were definitely inspired to read the book again. Maybe French for me and German for her!

The Pancake Bakery
Your visit to Amsterdam is not complete without a visit to the Pancake Bakery! This is THE place to get your humongous sized Dutch pancake, sweet or salty! They are the size of a large round plate and you can get them with different fruit toppings or if you don't want sweet, plenty of cheese, veggies and meat options. This was also where I discovered my love for Stroopwafels(typical Dutch treat of thin baked waffles with a caramel like syrup in the middle.) since it came with my hot chocolate! 

Dutch Pancakes! Mine had cheese, mushrooms, and bacon. 
Hot chocolate with a stroopwafel on the side. Can't go wrong.
Canals, Monuments, and All Types of Shops...
It's really nice to walk around the canals everywhere you go and very refreshing to end up in the Red Light District multiple times. The Red Light District was quite a change from where I come from. I don't know any other place where women are standing behind windows waiting for their next "client". There's so much nice scenery and tons of coffee shops available where they also have space cakes available or if one prefers, weed by the gram. Other shops include Smart Shops which sell a variety of "happy stuff" for lack of better words and sex shops. 




Condomerie- Same street as our hostel lol
Amsterdam at night. The peaceful side of it at least lol
We also left the city for a day trip which was very fun! :D Next up I will post about it and share some pictures of life outside the city in the Dutch countryside. Also coming up, a post about my day trip to Chantilly, France. Upcoming trips are Lyon, France, Germany, London and more!!!

À tout à l'heure mes amis!

No comments:

Post a Comment